There's Glory for You! - update

A few months ago I put a short dialogue, "There's Glory for You!", on M-Phi about the nature of language and languages (interpreted languages, conventionalism, metasemantics, the modal status of semantic and other linguistic facts, cognizing a language, semantic indeterminacy, and idiolects) based on a well-known snippet from Lewis Carroll's "Through the Looking Glass", where Humpty Dumpty declares that when he uses a word, it means "just what I choose it to mean -- neither more nor less".

I gave a rewritten version of this as a talk in Oxford a month ago at the Philosophical Society, with my colleague Anandi Hattiangadi as Alice. I now have put it on academia.edu in case anyone is interested. (It's probably not suitable as a "proper" philosophical article.)

Comments

  1. )))((((((
    (·)...(·)
    ....U....
    [____]---{"...probably not suitable," that's a philosophical argument in & of itself.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment